Thursday, June 23, 2016

Motorcycle: 1, Deer: 0. Horizons Unlimited in Ontario, Canada (HUON, PT 1)

TRIP REPORT:
Horizon’s Unlimited gathering at Camp Tamarack in Ontario, Canada. (HUON)

BACKGROUND:

The Horizons Unlimited gathering at Camp Tamarack located in Ontario, Canada was to be a big deal.
I would be presenting Journeyman Product's "Design Your Own Gear - An Introduction" as well as debuting our new effort, Adventure 4 Action, with partner Jim Bordell. This would also be my first motorcycle border crossing and foray into The Great White North. These were not to be my only firsts on this trip, however.

The following logs are based on original entries made in my motorcycle travel book.

LOG:
June 7th, 2016, 10.30AM.
Location: Home
Bike Mileage: 101962
Conditions: Pleasant, blue bird skies, temp near 65 degrees.

No entry, departure.

LOG:
June 7th, 2016, 930PM.
Location: East Otto State Forest, NY
Bike Mileage: 102200

It wasn’t a bad ride into New York.
The day had started nicely, with an impromptu visit and photo op at the “World Famous Horseshoe Curve.”


"World Famous!"

After enjoying the scenery and gently curving roads of rural Pennsylvania, I stopped at a pub & grill at the Holiday Valley Ski Resort in Ellicottville, NY for some phone juice and a beer.


Holiday Valley Ski Resort, NY

While at the pub, I identified my campsite for the evening to be just a few miles further up the road in the East Otto State Forest. I was en route to the site and enjoying a spirited ride through a particularly curvy section of the road when out from the forest on my left leapt a large doe.

Sadly, she didn't survive...
...but other than a headlight and some cosmetics, the bike did- as did I.
The collision with the doe was my first on a motorcycle and one that I do not hope to repeat! Though I had struck it broadside, I did manage to deflect the deer to my left. The headlight and engine crash bar took the brunt of the impact. My left side Highway Horn was also a casualty.

The missing horn was not found immediately. 
Two motorists stopped to check on my condition after seeing the downed deer and me, standing with my bike, alongside the road. We inspected the bike for damage and discovered the missing highway horn. Upon searching the scene for the piece, it was eventually discovered- lodged in the deer's side.

A short test ride confirmed that the bike was in fact intact and rideable, despite the accident. I attribute the BMW Telelever suspension design for not only retaining the bike's structural integrity, but also saving me from what would have very likely been a terrible catapult over the handle bars and onto hard asphalt.

Camp that night was a solemn affair. And although my hammock camp offered much comfort, the effects of the adrenaline and anguish would last well into the next day.

Hemlock Groves make great campsites. Just remember to check trees for sap!
Next up... Creative bike repairs, Niagra Falls, detainment at the border, and wild camping in southern Ontario!

No comments:

Post a Comment