Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Livin' in a hammock, DOWN BY THE RIVER! (HUON, PT 2)

LOG: June 9th, 2016, 645AM.

Location: West Lincoln Community Park, Ontario, Canada
Bike Mileage: 102309
Conditions: Cool, clear skies, temp in the low 40's.

I just packed up my first impromptu riverside camp here in Canada and am about to enjoy a breakfast of beef jerky, honey roasted peanut butter, and cinnamon graham crackers.

My road pantry
Fleeting images from my dreams last night include riding on snowy, ice-covered roads and being awoken by a playful brown and white calf with bright eyes. The image of the calf in particular has me feeling a tad introspective and strange this morning.
Yesterday had been a full day. Making my way north from East Otto, NY, I stopped to repair the broken headlight, take in the sights at Niagra Falls, and cross the Rainbow Bridge into Canada. Beginning at the border crossing however, my progress slowed considerably.

Getting creative with a sealed beam halogen intended for an old Jeep, some rubber tubing, tools, and a helpful Autozone fellow
The results are nearly indistinguishable from the original, works just as well, and costs less to replace in the future. Permanent upgrade!
View from above Niagra Falls

Two paths emerged from the bridge, and I took- both :)
 



Metal art?
Or just a pile of scrap rebar?
At the border crossing, I was detained. I can't be sure if it was how I answered the myriad of questions, my first time crossing into Canada status, or my hooligan appearance, but in any case, the authorities felt it best to give my bike "the treatment." The officers were pleasant enough; I separated the load into its component parts and opened each bag and case, at which point I was told, "they'd take it from here." Directed to a bench a short distance away, I watched, helplessly, as the agents took everything out and thumbed through my items with their gloved hands, searching for what I do not know. Fortunately, they didn't find anything too provoking, and after 30 min or so I was reunited with my bike and allowed to restore its contents to their proper stored positions. The variety of things these agents see as they peruse others' belongings must make for some good stories. A lot can be inferred about a person based on the things they chose- or choose not- to carry with them during their travels. Come to think of it, it might make for a fun game of sleuthing at a future motorcycle adventurers' event... "What Stories will your Stuff Sack Reveal?"... but I don't think that, as a general rule, the border agents are supposed to engage travelers in chit chat about their belongings. However, one fellow hung around a moment afterwards, and while I reassembled my load, he inquired about the broken horn in my sidecase. He had deduced where it had originally been on the bike, but was still curious about what it was FOR. After the explanation, he left with these parting words- "that's a pretty cool bike." Yeah, I think so, too. 

Once repacked, and before placing myself back on the steed, I chose to have a tasty meal of jerky, spicy V8, homemade sourdough crackers, and a handful of dates and raisins. Though I would have welcomed the company, none of the agents came looking for a treat. 

Shortly after leaving the border zone and entering "Ontario Region 420" (I know, I should have stopped for a photo), I encountered a drawbridge. The massive vessel for which it was raised was a short way off down the channel and setting no speed records, so I took the opportunity to grab my first beer in Canada- a Sleeman. For those of you unfamiliar, Sleeman is the Pabst Blue Ribbon of Canada in that it is their 3rd largest brewery and presents a refreshing, unoffensive, completely unmemorable, light lager. If you find yourself snobberishly snickering now- listen, cut me some slack. My choices were this or a Coors Light.  

Canadian money- what's that all about, eh?




Just some over-sized kid's toys
While enjoying the beer, I realized that my phone no longer had data service- meaning that I had no internet, no access to Google maps (my preferred tool for navigation), and no access to easy research for locating campsites. Crap. My first thought was, "guess I'll be relying on my atlas to navigate. Wait- I didn't pack the atlas. Damn it!" There I was, holding true to this blog's name, with no maps and being about out of wits.  

Fortunately, this was a rookie mistake and easily rectified. There is service in Ontario, I just had to connect to it- and also authorize Verizon (my US cell carrier) to make additional charges at $2/day for access to all of my regular data features. I'd like to say that I figured this out quickly, but in reality, it took an uncomfortable while for me to get it all sorted. I may still be lost in the wilds of Canada had it not been for a friendly text from Verizon asking if I'd like to continue my data plan while traveling abroad.  

Forever focused on the silver lining, I was pleased that my delays and ignorance resulted in discovering the lovely riverside campsite in West Lincoln.
Adventure is making good out of all circumstances, right?

Livin' in a hammock, down by the river!

LOG: June 9th, 2016, 1215PM.
Location: Creemore LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario), Ontario, Canada
Bike Mileage: 102439

I wanted to stock up on a few necessities before arriving at the HU event, so I opted to detour slightly and visit the liquor store. In the parking lot of my second LCBO stop, I wrote the following in my book.

Observations since entering Canada: 
  1. Not all "Lick-bos" (LCBOs) are created equal. It pays to shop around.
  2. Canadians LOVE their country flags. Should you lose your mind, space out for a moment, and forget where you are- fear not. Every 30 meters or so there will be a red and white stripped, maple leaf adorned flag beating in the breeze to remind you that you are in fact in Canada.*
A sampling of the local liquid delights.
What, no Sleeman?!
*Time Travel Footnote- I later discovered that country-pride isn't nearly as pronounced in the province of Quebec, and Canadians have a similar view towards "Americans" as being proud, flag wavers, too. With the back of my bike sporting a USA flag AND a Pennsylvania flag, I was in no position to disagree. Experiencing and sharing different perspectives are one of the joys of travel.

(Incidentally, I stole this idea of the TTF from one of my favorite books- Cosmic Banditos by Allan C. Weisbecker. Check it out if you enjoy fast-paced, comedic reads that are full of nonsensical adventure.)   

Next up... Camp Tamarack and the HU event- where planning is considered overrated...

No comments:

Post a Comment