Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Influence

It wasn't my fault. I didn't stand a chance. My grandfather knew exactly what he was doing.

A relatively clear bit of life that I recall from the early formative years, are evenings spent sitting alongside my grandfather watching shows on one of two over-the-air channels that the rabbit ears set atop the rotary knob television would reliably capture- either PBS or CBS. The serious in-depth look at the world of 60 Minutes, Bob Ross with his magic trees and special squirrel, Benny Hill and his ridiculously lewd objectification of women, Hee Haw and their silly straw hats and provocative costumes- all had their turn at molding the soft gray matter within. But it was Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom that taught me stillness, excitement, and always held me spellbound.
Hosts Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler would take my grandfather and I on odysseys throughout the natural world, all over Africa and South America and other exotic places, while we stared fixedly from the comfort of carpeted floors and hot water radiator heat. I was fascinated by the animals; I was thrilled by the adventure; but it was the introduction of off-roading and of overlanding vehicles- vehicle- that spoke to my very soul. And so it happened, right there in my grandparents' living room, that I first fell in love.

The Iconic Land Rover Series
From that very early age, I knew, that one day, I would have myself a classic Land Rover. And with it, I would explore the world.

Mine was not a Land Rover family, however. My grandfather, having served in WWII, preferred Jeeps. Of his Jeeps, I remember a late 70's era red Cherokee Chief in particular, similar to the one shown below.


I grew up comfortable, certainly- but by no means affluent. So when I became of that magical age when some young men's fancy turns to old metal, wrenches and gear oil, my inclination was naturally, if predictably, towards Jeeps.  

My First Restoration Project, a 1979 Jeep CJ7
Old, running, road-worthy CJs could still be had for around $1000- $1500 dollars in the mid 1990's, with the occasional "barn find" having a relatively good condition body and frame, too. Today, this Jeep, as I had restored it with hardtop, doors and 258 straight six engine, would probably be valued at $5 or $6k. Not too shabby. 
This Jeep was one of at least six leaf-sprung, solid axle, round headlight funmobiles to leave oily stains in my mother's driveway. She never did care much for my "hobby," but in good character, she tolerated it, and, for the most part, me.

Over the years I also dabbled in other classic 4x4s.

1977 International Scout II
1974 Ford Bronco- with One-of-a-kind, Broke-the-mold, Custom Hood Ornament :)
And then there was the Hunter.

The Rare Romanian ARO Hunter 244 as Shown in Captivity
How the Hunter came to be in my possession, and its ultimate demise, is another story unto itself. I'll spoil the ending for you here-

The Neighbors Loved the Smell
Around the same time as the ARO, began the Era of the Trooper, which continues to this day. At last count, I have owned close to a dozen examples of this fine Japanese take on the classic LR Range Rover.

A Smattering of Isuzu Troopers that I've Known and Loved
Troopers are so ingrained in my life that my daughter (and sometimes hood ornament) recently, and very proudly, purchased her first "poor man's Land Rover" as well.

They Grow Up Fast
Throughout every turn of the wrench and every busted bolt, however, I always considered myself a "Land Rover man with a Jeep budget."

Finally, after years of waiting and fooling with substitutes, my childhood Wild Kingdom dreams came true. Delivered to me from Scottland, via Vermont, came an unmolested, unrestored, 3-door, Marine Blue and Limestone over black D110.


It was Perfect. Well, Mostly. Or at Least, So I was Told. 
Three years after having "adopted" this problem child into my life, I am happy to say that the restoration process has been an overall, if at times frustrating, success. The "excellent" condition that the truck was supposed to be in turned out to not be exactly accurate. After all of the various vehicle experience that I've suggested I've had thus far in the narrative, the astute reader might think, and quite correctly, that I "should have known better" than to buy a truck hundreds of miles away, sight unseen, based on the description of a salesman. What can I say; I'm a hopeless romantic.

Frame and Body Repairs 
Custom Safari-style Running Boards
Refreshed Engine, LT77 5-speed and Rebuilt LT230 Transfer Case Housing 1.4 High Gears
Sound-deadening, Full Custom Carpeting and Headliner
Comfy Well Cushions Transform into a Clever and Cozy Bed for Two... If You're Dating... Or at Least Good Friends
Other Selected Tasty Tid Bits
I couldn't have done it without good, knowledgeable friends who also share in the joys of beating new life out of old metal. Specific and extra special thanks go to:

Rob "Off" Rhodes
Rodney and Dillon Rupert

Parts were supplied by Rover's North, The Rovah Farm, Safari Heritage, and even a direct contact in the UK.

Now, at 39, I've had more cars, trucks, vans, and motorcycles than I've had full trips around the sun. It's been quite the ride, really, and I feel fortunate for having the opportunity to experience so much, so many, and in so little time.

The Rover project as I had envisioned it is fully realized. The major parts of the story have been described here, but believe me when I tell you that there is much, much more. In the end, and in true Rover fashion, I had paid too much for the original truck, poured entirely too much more into it, and am now ready to lose money on another adventure. If you are interested in discussing this rig, its build, how windshield wipers can start a fire, how to replace what one would expect to be a simple signal relay or fuse, or if you'd like to look at additional pictures, or are even considering adopting this matured child for yourself, feel free to comment on the Defender Source forum or Expedition Portal. I'm currently accepting offers.

Thank You Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler for the Inspiration
Thank You Grandfather for the Influence

See you down the road.
Shane



3 comments:

  1. Your picture of the Scout reminded me of mine, Morty the Barbarian. What can I say Grandpa worked at IH for over 40 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing. No one works anywhere for that long anymore.

      Delete
  2. Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom may have been the best marketing/brand loyalty program Land Rover ever had. Sooooo many of us love the old series rovers because of Marlin and Jim's adventures. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete