Friday, May 8, 2015

The Blue Ridge Diary (Part 2). Day 6.

Wednesday, May 6th, 10.15AM
Deep in the woods of Pisgah National Forest
~60’s, blue bird sky, light clouds to the SE
233mi/ 1379mi

Followed directions from a free camping website only to inadvertently wind up in a “No Camping Here” area as designated by a rather official looking National Forest sign discovered the next morning. This was the most remote and certainly most comfortable of my sites thus far, legality notwithstanding.

Home is Where I Hang My Hammock
Yesterday was a feast for my motorcycle senses. The BRP is a beautiful road, unobstructed by guiderails, populated with perfect and consistent curves, minimal traffic, fast when desired, and slow-to-stopped when it was time to break from track practice. The inside edges of the tires’ tread saw plenty of action.

Watch Video Here


The route is also full of interesting side destinations while providing near constant western-like views of dramatic granite mountains and valleys. Mount Mitchell, “the highest peak this side of the Mississippi and south of Canada” is on this route, and at 6684’, the sunset views are not to be missed.

Super High, Super Cold; the Temperature Hovered Near 40 Degrees at the Time of this Photo
I was in need of a little socialization last night, so I dipped into Asheville, NC for a late dinner at the first Mexican joint I encountered off of the parkway. It was Cinco De Mayo, after all, right?
The California Burritos were welcome, as was the cerveza, and the place was bristling with activity. A local gent and I got into some good conversation, and I was invited to surf his couch for the evening. The fellow was of the generous, good-natured and fun-loving criminal-type, but ultimately I declined the offer when I sensed a potential for unpredictable violence that might ensue had we gone deeper into the evening and further into the bottle.

Today will be my last day on the southern part of the BRP and marks an end to what feels like the first official leg of the trip. I’m leaving the east coast and my familiar Appalachian home behind and moving into the open flatlands of the southern middle portion of the country. I have this day and six more to reach my apex destination of Mormon Lake, AZ. But first, there’s the Dragon to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment