Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Best Laid Plans...

First things, first:

Destinations: Overland Expo East and Horizons Unlimited gatherings, held successive weekends, both in North Carolina.

Impetus: To grow and strengthen ties in the overlanding community, and to moderate discussions as well as present classes on Journeyman's "Design Your Own Gear" custom product design series.

And thus it begins...

Rain.
I don't know why I even try to plan.

First to fall apart- departure time. 
Heavy rains made bike packing a difficult affair, delaying my departure by two hours. 

Second botch- route.
A simple missed turn somewhere south of Bedford, PA led me off course and nearly into harm's way. On three occasions over the same stretch of road, I witnessed medium-sized branches fall from their heights to shatter on the road a mere 30ft or so ahead of my rolling tire. Feel like life's passing you by too quickly? I was reminded, seconds count.

With time no longer in my favor and the weather worsening, I chose to opt out of the famed Skyline Drive and its 100+ miles of not-to-be-rushed curves. I am fortunate to live not far from this iconic drive, and am already planning my return. 

The Original "Plan"
KML link here
Since Skyline was out, I chose a more direct route to the day's destination, Harrisonburg, VA. The silver lining in abbreviating my riding came in the form of this quaint coffee shop, where I stopped for a warm up and to meet my friend and evening's host. 

The Artful Dodger, Harrisonburg, VA

From the shop, I followed my friend to his country home, where we shared a relaxing and wonderful dinner complete with libations, good friends and Rumbles the Cat.


Is there a lesson to be extracted from this day? Yes, and I believe it is this- remain flexible and adaptive, and life will hand you a fluffy kitten.

See you down the road.
Shane

No comments:

Post a Comment